Monday, January 21, 2019

2018 Year in Review

I am finally getting to my 2018 Year in Review after W and I had our first child.  She is one month old already!

2018 was a very different year for me.  I ran about 300 fewer miles over the year, mostly due to W and I expecting our little one and having to care for both of my parents in the Fall.  Things changed dramatically once we hit September!  But I still had a pretty good year.

2018 Race Totals

5k- 8
Half Marathon- 4
5 Miler- 1
2 Miler- 1

Grand total of 84.2 miles in races.  Definitely the lowest total I've had in years!


Favorite races



  • ONU Polar Bear Indoor Half Marathon- I've enjoyed this one more each year and will certainly miss it this year.  I chipped off more time from my 2017 and 2016 efforts and ran a solid 1:39:24.  The cross country and track teams do a great job to make this one fun.
  • Cooper Tire Centennial 5 Miler- This was a pleasant surprise despite the cold race conditions.  I ran a 34:02 and finished third overall.  The organization and door prizes were top notch.  Very fun race, just be prepared for wind in Findlay!
  • Flying Pig Half Marathon- I had to skip this one in 2017 and came back to it this year.  Good thing I did!  The race conditions were almost ideal and I ran a very surprising 1:37:40.  This race is very challenging.  The organization, spectators, and post-race area make it well worth it!
  • Heart & Sole Half Marathon- This was my second time running this race and, good grief, is it a challenge.  I struggle more here than at the Pig.  It's a well organized race and I'll always remember it as my 70th.
  • Hoot & Scoot Trail Race 2 Miler- This was a fun little trail race at the Ohio Bird Sanctuary.  It rained cats and dogs the evening before the race, making it extra fun!  I really enjoyed it and came away with a first place finish.

  • Let's look at the goals I set one year ago:

    • Run 3-5 half marathons.  This would get me to 70 overall.  I split the difference and got four in, bringing my grand total to 71.
    • Shoot for 19:30 in the 5k.  This is lofty but I think I can do it in the right conditions.  Not even close.  My training was up and down before everything happened in the Fall.  I had some nice races but never sniffed a sub-20:00.
    • Run 750 miles in 2018.  I've been over 1000 the past several years but I won't be able to maintain it.  I ran just under 700 miles.  I'm pretty happy with that considering the Fall was a bust.
    • Win one or two local 5ks.  If I'm going to focus on that distance, I feel this is possible.  Well, this one didn't happen either.  I had one second place finish and four third place finishes.  I did, however, win the Hoot & Scoot Trail Race 2 Miler.  

    I'm setting some very modest goals for 2019 since we now have a little one.

    2019 Goals
    • Run 4-5 local 5ks.
    • Run one trail race.
    • Run one half marathon.
    • Run 500 miles in 2019.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment