Friday, May 25, 2018

Childhood Cancer 5k

I added this one late as I had the morning free and the race started and finished about a half mile from home.  You can't beat such convenience.  The proceeds went to Akron Children's Hospital which is a great cause and organization.

The race started at 10:00 and it was already muggy.  I run this course several times a week and know how tough the hills can be during the second half.  Did that stop me from starting out too fast?  If you guessed yes then you haven't been reading this blog for long.

We started at Ontario High School for a nice straightaway.  I came out in the top three and quickly moved to second place.  I recognized the eventual winner and knew I couldn't catch him and simply tried to maintain second.  We then turned east on Milligan Road for the best downhill portion you can imagine.  It's a steady and long downhill that doesn't completely ruin the quads.  I felt good but realized my error as I finished the first mile in 6:05.  Shocker.

It was getting increasingly humid as we headed south and back around through Marshall Park.  I tried to keep up the pace through the park and chanced looking back.  The next runner was at least a minute behind me and the first place runner was at least a minute ahead.  I was right where I needed to be.  The second mile came in at 6:30, though I knew that would end once we turned back onto Milligan and headed up the hill.  I was right.  There are rolling hills combined with a gradual uphill on this portion.  I was shot by this point and just hanging on for a good time.  I actually walked up one of the rollers to conserve energy for the finish.  We finally made our way back to the straightaway leading to the school.  I didn't push the pace, as there was no reason to, and hit the third mile in 7:25.  My overall time was a respectable 20:50.  That was good enough for the age group win and 2/77 overall.  Not bad for a last minute race.

I'm going with a quick turnaround and doing it again with a local 5k on Memorial Day.

Next race: A Run to Remember 5k- Shelby, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment