Sunday, December 20, 2015

Lifesaver 5k

My final 2015 race summed up one of my most solid years of running.  I've had a lot of good things happen this year, including half marathon PRs, a few wins, placing at several halves, a sub-20 5k, and more. 

This race was in nearby Mifflin at Charles Mill Lake and it was a beautiful day.  We had some very strange weather for an Ohio December.  It was over 50 degrees at the start of the race and most runners, including myself, were wearing shorts and t-shirts.  It was very enjoyable for FW, as the weather was great and she was able to see me at several points on the course.

We started out with a quick loop around the campground area and, man, the hills were much more than expected!  They were rollers but I had no choice but to fly down them early on.  There was a 10k running the same course, so it was very difficult to tell where I was at in the race.  I started out with the top five people but I was thinking they were 10kers.  We looped around and back to the start line where we headed out a peninsula in the lake.  My first mile came in WAY too fast at 6:04. 

The peninsula portion was flatter and very scenic with good views of the lake.  I got a side cramp at about the 1.5 mile mark that really hurt me the rest of the race.  I actually walked for a bit because it was affecting my stride.  The second mile came in at a much slower 7:01.  I probably should have started at that pace but the first hills got me.  We finished the peninsula and made our way to the third loop by running out towards the highway.  I saw the 10kers coming back and realized I was the first 5k runner.  As I made my turn and came back it took a while to see the next 5k runner.  So I knew I had my third win of the year in the bag and kicked it in as much as I could.  I high-fived FW as I made the turn to the finish line and hit the mat in 20:46. This is another fast 5k for me!  More importantly it was my sixth ever first place finish!  I received a nice trophy for my efforts.

2015 has been a great running year.  I'll have my end of year thoughts posted in a week or so.  I'm signed up for three half marathons in 2016 with more to be added soon.  The first one is my first indoor half.

Next race: Ohio Northern University Polar Bear Indoor Half Marathon- Ada, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment