Monday, December 28, 2015

2015 Year in Review

This was certainly one of my best running years.  My half marathon PR dropped several times, I won a few races, and enjoyed training/racing with FW.  I meant to scale back my race schedule and somehow managed to increase it.  I also didn't have any single "man, that was terrible" races.  Heck, I even had the "opportunity" to run a solid half marathon in 17 degree weather.

Here are my thoughts on 2015:

2015 Race Totals

5k- 9
4 Miler- 2
Half Marathon- 11
1 10k, 1 7k, 1 17k
Grand total of 201 miles in races

Highlights


  • PR'd three times in the half marathon.  These happened at the Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Half, Three Creeks Half, and Ohio River Road Runners Half.
  • Ran only my second sub-20:00 5k at the Ontario Liberty 5k (19:52).
  • I ran my first double by doing the 5k and half marathon at Rock 'n' Roll Arizona.  Then I completed the Skyline 3-Way Challenge by running the 5k, 10k and half marathon at the Flying Pig.
  • Added states twelve (Arizona) and thirteen (Rhode Island).
  • This was an awards heavy year for me.  I won three more races, bringing my grand total to six, by winning the Liwiro La Malawi 5k, Great Mohican 17k, and Lifesaver 5k.  I came in second at the FIT Fright 5k in Norwalk.  I placed in a couple half marathons, too, by getting second in my age group at the Three Creeks Half and third at the Medina Half.
  • I had a blast training with FW this year and she made significant strides by beating her 5k PR twice, first at the Flying Pig then at the Kingwood 5k.
  • FW continues to fight plantar fasciitis but she's hanging in there.  She's working very hard on the elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill, and some light lifting.  I'm very curious to see how she does once spring gets here.
  • I also enjoyed the support I received from FW throughout the year.  She went to so many races (not always in great weather) to support me.  I know it can't be fun to watch a race start and then wait around for over an hour and a half.  You're the best, FW!
Favorite Races
  • Rock 'n' Roll Arizona 5k/Half Marathon- This was a terrific destination race and I ran a surprisingly ran a new PR at the time.  The course is scenic and you could not ask for better weather!
  • Ohio River Road Runners Club Half Marathon- The ORRRC race winds up on my list year after year.  This was my fourth time running it and second time I PR'd.  FW and I enjoyed a nice weekend in nearby Yellow Springs which made the experience even better.  If you are looking for a well organized race, look no further!
  • Flying Pig Skyline 3-Way- The entire experience was wonderful at the Flying Pig.  The 10k was more enjoyable than most and following it up by running the 5k with FW was even better.  Plus, FW ran a then-PR.  The next day's half marathon was the most challenging of the year, but I may have had more fun than all the others.
  • Private Heath Warner Memorial 4 Miler- This one was a shocker!  We had beautiful weather for late May and I ran an insane 25:51.  The course was pretty nice and the organization was top notch.
  • Medina Half Marathon- A late addition to my 2015 schedule, the Medina Half was a blast.  FW enjoyed the town square with a great coffee shop and farmer's market.  I enjoyed the course, even though there was an insane amount of turns.  This was also only the third time I placed in a half marathon.
  • Kingwood 5k- FW ran a PR and had a great time doing it!  Kingwood is a really cool place to hold a race and we plan on doing it again.
  • Akron Half Marathon- This one marked my 50th half marathon and I could not have picked a better race to celebrate the accomplishment.  The organization is some of the best I've seen.  It has a big-city feel without all the hassle.
2016 Goals
  • Set a new half marathon PR.  My current PR is 1:36:24.  With that in mind...
  • Break 1:35 in the half marathon.
  • Set a new 5k PR.  My current best is 19:42.  This one may be a bit too unrealistic, but I think I can do it on the right course in the right conditions.
  • Run 7-8 half marathons.  We have a wedding to plan but I think this is still realistic.
  • Run a trail half marathon if my schedule allows.
  • I would love for FW to set a new 5k PR.  She made some excellent strides this year.  She'll be good if the plantar doesn't keep coming back.
  • Find a 5 miler (or above) for FW.  She came very close by running the Shawshank Hustle 7k and that was in miserable conditions.

Next race: Ohio Northern University Polar Bear Indoor Half Marathon- Ada, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment