Friday, October 26, 2018

Mohican 5k

Two posts in one day!  Let's get caught up on this blog!

The Mohican 5k is a race I somehow won last year.  I had no such aspirations this year.  That was good because it was a much faster field.  I still had a blast as this is one of the best organized local races.  There's plenty of parking at the race, a well marked course, great volunteers, great weather, and a fun time. 

We started by heading south on Wally Road toward State Route 3.  This is a great way to start the race as it's flat and fast.  This part of the state is actually very hilly, but the organizers have carved out a nice fast course.  I felt good from the start but, surprise, started out too fast.  I tried to hang with some high school kids which could have been disastrous.  We turned west onto the bike path right next to SR 3 for a long straightaway.  This turns into one of those "zone out and run" type of races.  I had around a 6:25 for the first mile.  Let's all say it together: Way too fast!

I passed one or two runners here and then found myself right where I needed to be.  I guessed I was around sixth or seventh place.  That was a good place to be on next to no training in the two weeks leading up to this race.  We turned around to head back the way we came and I tried to keep up a good pace.  The second mile was probably around 7:00 which was closer to where I should have started.  I still felt pretty good and wanted to finish with a solid time. 

The third mile is pretty cool as we finish up with the straightaway and then, instead of turning back on Wally Road, continue on the bike path next to the river.  It winds around a bit to the finish and is a very pretty section.  I was able to pass one runner in this area which is a great way to finish.  I crossed the line with a very respectable time of 21:10.  I'll take that on zero training.  My effort was good enough for 7/77 overall and third in my age group.  The age group award is a very nice pint glass with the race logo.  This is after finally receiving my age group award from the Sweetcorn Festival in July, also a pint glass! 

This was a great race and I'm happy I was able to run it again this year.  Like I mentioned in my previous post, running has not been a priority for well over a month.  It's been a struggle to get out twice a week for a couple miles.  Regardless, I've signed up for a trail race tomorrow.  It's two miles (there was a four mile option) but I know these trails are tough.

Next race: Hoot and Scoot Trail Race at the Ohio Bird Sanctuary- Mansfield, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment