Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Thoughts on 2017 Running Year

2017 was an interesting year for me.  While I still ran seven half marathons, I focused more on the 5k.  I ran surprising PRs in both the 5k and 10k while maintaining a good pace in the half marathon.  W and I have a lot of life changes coming up and I figured this would be my last year running in 15+ races.

2017 Race Totals

5k- 9
10k- 1
12.5k- 1
Half Marathon- 7

Grand total of 133.55 miles in races.

Favorite races

  • ONU Polar Bear Indoor Half Marathon- I enjoyed this one just as much as 2016 and am schedule to do it again in 2018.  I chipped off over a minute and hope to come in near 1:40 next time.  The cross country and track teams do a great job to make this one fun.
  • Ohio Road Runners Club Half Marathon- No surprise here.  This was my sixth time running my favorite race.  
  • Capital City Half Marathon- The weather made this one nerve wracking at the end, but the fast course more than made up for it.  I came close to getting a PR at this one.  
  • Heartland 5k- I got a new 5k PR of 19:39 at this race in nearby Lexington.  I actually really enjoyed the course as over a quarter of it is on bike path and the few hills through town helped to break it up.
  • Columbus Half Marathon- This one was run at Alum Creek in nearby Delaware.  I came into it with zero expectations and came out of it with a sub-1:40.  The course is pretty scenic with enough variety to keep things interesting.
  • Mohican 5k- This was a surprising first place finish for me this year.  The course is a flat and fast out and back mostly on a bike path.  The small hills at the end were killer but I really enjoyed this race.
  • Amish Country Half Marathon- My slowest time came at this one but who cares?  This is a fun race at which you get the opportunity to "conquer the hills".  It's tough but the organization is outstanding.
Let's look at my goals for the year.

  • Set another new half marathon PR.  I am signed up for the ORRRC Half again.  I've PR'd three times at that race and I know the course like the back of my hand.   I came close a few times but couldn't get past 1:36.  I very much doubt I'll break this any time soon.
  • Break 1:35 in the half marathon.  See above.
  • Set a new 5k PR.  Let's try this one again.  I set a new PR with a 19:39 and followed it up with a 19:42 two weeks later.  I finished the year with three sub-20:00s, compared to only two all-time entering 2017.
  • Run 6-7 half marathons and start to focus more on local 5ks.   I ran seven half marathons and nine 5ks.  That's a rarity for me.
  • Find a trail 5k in the area.  I ran the 12.5k Super Bull Trail over in Wooster in March.  It was tough and my shoelaces were frozen at the end but it was a blast!
  • A new 5k PR for W.  W ran a few 5ks but hasn't been able to consistently train.
2018 Running Goals
  • Run 3-5 half marathons.  This would get me to 70 overall.
  • Shoot for 19:30 in the 5k.  This is lofty but I think I can do it in the right conditions.
  • Run 750 miles in 2018.  I've been over 1000 the past several years but I won't be able to maintain it.
  • Win one or two local 5ks.  If I'm going to focus on that distance, I feel this is possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment