Friday, July 14, 2017

Ontario Liberty 5k

I'm very late on getting to this one done and my next race is tomorrow.  How many times have I started a post with that sentence?

This was another of W's races for the year.  A friend of hers walked it with us, which I think made it much easier for W.  She came into it with as much training as the Kingwood 5k so she was nervous.  The race starts at Ontario High School which is about a half mile from our house.  I'm coming to terms with the fact that easier logistics makes for a more enjoyable time.  The weather helped as it was cool with a light rain.  The day before was very humid so we lucked out.

We started out with a long straightaway on Shelby-Ontario Road.  This race was much more competitive than when I ran it two year's ago.  There were only a few walkers in this one.  The three of us started with some light jogging before switching to walking when we turned on to Milligan Road.  This is the best downhill portion of the race and a great way to build up time.  W looked very comfortable.  The conversation was greatly helping her.

I didn't have my watch so there are no splits.  I could tell that W was going to break her time from Kingwood by a good margin.  We went around the park in a loop and back to Milligan.  W did sprinkle in some more jogging at the turnaround point.  She was having fun!  We turned back on Milligan and (remember that earlier downhill?) had to contend with the uphill.  We then turned back toward the school for one last jog into the finish.

W finished with a final time of 51:54.  That chips off almost three minutes from Kingwood!  On little training and a tougher course that's not bad.  I think W is done with 5ks for a little while and will probably hit one in September.  My next one is tomorrow and looks to be very small.

Next race: North Fairfield Lions Street Fair 5k- North Fairfield, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment