Monday, March 27, 2017

Kilt & Kolor Run 5k

W and I made a long weekend trip to Savannah last week.  It was a beautiful time and I got some great running in at Forsyth Park.  The weather was also perfect with temperatures in the mid-60s to low-70s.  I looked for a half marathon and didn't see anything I wanted to drive to.  This little 5k on nearby Hutchinson Island fit the bill just fine.  It is nice to do something low-key in an unfamiliar city.

I know, I don't do color runs (or similarly gimmicky races).  Thankfully this one offered a clean, timed 5k at 8:00am prior to the color (or kolor) run at 9:00am.  This worked out well as I was able to just run the race and head back well before the main event started.

W and I were both a bit under the weather prior to this trip.  I told her to sit this one out so we could enjoy the rest of the day.  I got up on race morning and laid back down, debating whether to run or not.  In the end, to no one's surprise, I decided to give it a shot.  The venue was only about 15 minutes away from where we were staying and I figured I could gut out a 5k.  My expectations were low and I was really just looking for a decent run.

The course was nothing to write home about.  I was expecting that going in, but it could have been any 5k back home.  We started out with an odd portion on grass for about two hundred yards or so.  Then we made our way around the parking area and out to the main road.  I started out in the top ten and focused on picking off one runner at a time.  The course had a few minor hills and weaved in and out some.  My first mile clocked in at 6:57 which was much faster than expected.  I picked off several runners and found myself in fourth place where I would stay for the remainder.

Overall, I felt really good up to the turnaround.  This was an out and back course so we knew what to expect in the second half.  I slowed down some to 7:07 for the second mile, but I was still firmly entrenched into the fourth spot.  The runner in front was ahead by 100 meters and the one behind me was about the same.  This wasn't the most competitive race as more people were here for the color run.  I slowed down briefly during mile three and then sped back up for the final run through the parking lot and the grassy area.  I was pretty shocked to find I had run a 20:59 which was good enough for 4/72 overall and 1/3 in my age group.  Not a bad effort, though I had the course measuring at 3.04 miles.  Still, I'm pretty happy with this time.


My next effort will be back in Mansfield at a race I won two years ago.  I'm expecting it to be tougher this time around as my training has been inconsistent over the past few weeks.

Next race: Liwiro la Malawi 5k- Mansfield, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment