Friday, February 13, 2015

Blizzard Buster 5k

I decided to get in a bit of speedwork prior to the Last Chance for Boston Half Marathon.  The GF and I traveled up to Ashland for what I thought would be a nice, easy 5k this past weekend.  Little did I know this would not be easy at all.

We started out from Ashland First United Methodist Church and headed west for a bit.  The going was pretty good, but there were a lot of hills throughout this race.  I knew negative splits weren't a possibility.  Thankfully, I decided to bank some time early and started out the with the lead group.  There were some very fast runners, but I assumed this would be a tough race as only serious runners would brave the elements.  I struggled but ran a 6:58 for the first mile.  We took a nice downhill soon after but then the fun began.  The roads were very clear throughout the race, but we started in to a cemetery at about 1.25 miles in that was nothing but ice!  Plus hills.  This was not fun at all.  I started taking short, choppy steps during this part of the course, which lasted around 1.5 miles, and it really put my time in the crapper.  I almost wiped out several times and I know several people did, judging by the conversations GF and I overheard after the race.  I just tried to maintain my place during the cemetery portion, but my time was around a 7:40 for the second mile.  Plus, the cold air was getting to my lungs and the choppy steps to my core.  We meandered through the cemetery and finished with a downhill out of there.  Finally we made it back to the road at about the 2.75 mile mark.  I tried to kick it in some during the finish but my lungs weren't having it.  The highlight occurred as I saw GF doing a celebratory dance for me at the finish!

Final time- 22:43.  This was good enough for 10th overall, out of probably around 100, and second in my age group.  The age group awards were very cool as I received a coffee mug for my efforts.  I really love my medals, but I have so many that I actually like receiving useful things now.  GF and I made a day of it and ate a wonderful breakfast at a local diner and then hit up the nearby outlet mall for the rest of the afternoon.  Overall, a good day!

My 2014 is starting off very, very well.  I already have two 5ks and a half marathon PR under my belt.  I'm scheduled for a half marathon next week but it depends on the weather.   If it's frigid, I may drop down to the 5k or 10k.

Next race: Last Chance for Boston Half Marathon- Dublin, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment