Friday, December 5, 2014

Buckeye Half Marathon


My Columbus Half experience was fun, but I ultimately fell short of my goal at that race.  I wanted one more opportunity to try for a solid race in 2014.  I also ran this race because it was my 40th half marathon!  Every time I hit a milestone like this, I think back to my first half in 2009 and how I said "Never again!" at the finish line.  You just never know!

This race is absolutely fantastic!  I ran a 1:50:21 at it last year and really enjoyed it.  The race is so well organized and you even get a 1/4 zip jacket or a hoodie for entering.  I registered the day before the race and was still able to get a hoodie!  Something I'll actually use!  The course itself is of the double loop variety which I normally don't enjoy but the scenery is fantastic.  Cuyahoga Valley National Park is a great place to visit if you get the opportunity.

We started out right on time and I began at a reasonable 8:30 pace.  I had higher aspirations, but I wanted to use the same method as at Wooster and Findlay earlier this year by saving everything for the second half of the race.  I hung around the 1:50 pace team for the first half of the race and just enjoyed myself.  It was freezing, though!  I noticed the temp gauge in my car went down around 10 degrees in the drive from my hotel in Medina to Cuyahoga Valley.  It is certainly low in the valley and it gets cold.  It took a few miles for me to warm up, but I knew I was on pace for a very solid race when I started kicking more around the five mile mark.  I really felt good at this one and my running was as effortless as I've felt since Cap City.

The second half is a complete blur.  I passed a ton of people at the beginning of the second loop, though it's hard to tell because of the relay exchange (there's a two-person relay at this race).  I felt phenomenal and noted the 7:15-7:30 miles I started to rip out.  It did start to get sunny and the temps felt perfect during the second loop.  I also forgot to mention that, although this is held in Summit County, it's a relatively flat course.  There are a few hills toward the end of the loop, but nothing daunting.  It's a really nice course!  I was able to cruise in with my second fastest half time, 1:40:17!!!  This was good enough for 54/450 overall and 6/19 in my age group.  The frustrating thing is I was less than a minute and a half away from placing.  I've had so many near misses this year.

This was a fantastic final half marathon for the year.  The Summit Athletic Running Club puts on a great event and it has become one of my go-to races.  They even serve hot soup at the end!

Next race: Flying Feather 4-Miler- Dublin, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment