Thursday, October 3, 2013

Akron Marathon

My big race for the year took place in Akron this past Saturday.  It was my first full marathon since the 2011 Columbus Marathon.  I chose it due to the proximity to home and because it is often rated alongside Columbus as being one of the best organized races in the state.  My training has been very hit-or-miss throughout the summer, but I hit on most of my long runs.  The real challenge was training for the hills of Akron while living in pancake flat Northwest Ohio. 

I arrived in Akron a couple days before the race and hit the expo on Friday morning.  This was a piece of cake as the convention center was easy to get to and the expo itself was very well organized.  One of the extra perks to this race is the swag.  Marathoners get a very cool Brooks running jacket, a year subscription to Running Times magazine, cool free samples (love the Emergen-C mix), a finisher towel, and amazing finisher medal.  I especially like getting the jacket as my closet is full of race shirts.  After the expo, I simply relaxed for the rest of the day, contemplating the pain that awaited me on Saturday.

Getting to the parking areas for a race this size can be a pain, but if you simply plan ahead it can be a piece of cake.  I arrived about an hour and a half early and found a parking garage one block from the start and one block from the finish.  It pays to plan!  That also gave me some time to read my book in the car, stretch out, and make my way to the start.  Here are a few pics of the finish area before the race:


I forgot about the energy before a full marathon.  It's amazing.  Loud music, an energetic crowd, fireworks, and me just wanting to start the dang thing.  The experience is unlike any other, but it's really hard to enjoy it when you are embarking on a 26.2 mile journey.  We started at 7:00 on the dot.  Here are my thoughts throughout the race:

Miles 1-5: I wanted to start out nice and easy during the first ten miles or so.  Everything started well as I was in the 10:00 range during the early miles.  We made our way through downtown, then back the way we came heading south.  There were a few gradual hills but nothing major.  I didn't do much maneuvering as I had lined up at the exact right place at the start.  Not much to report here.

Miles 6-10: We head east for a mile and then back north around mile 7.  This led into the University of Akron campus, which was a nice little section of this race.  Some students were actually out and about to cheer us on.  I sped up a bit and was hitting anywhere from 9:00-9:30 per mile during this stretch.  We headed back to the downtown area at mile 9 and then north again at mile 10.

Miles 11-15: Here's where I had no choice but to abandon my plan and, thus, screwed up my race.  We started heading back south right after mile 11 and hit a couple of wicked downhills.  The second of which went on for about 3/4 mile straight down.  I had two choices: fly down this thing or hold back.  Either way, my quads would be destroyed.  I tried to hold back but I had two miles clocking in at 8:53 and 8:40.  It was WAY too early for that to happen and I knew it would screw me up later in the race.  My hope was that I could hold out as long as possible.  At least I was greeted with an amazing running environment soon after.  We ran through some gorgeous parks on the Towpath trail starting at mile 13 and would remain on their for over 5 miles.  It was a nice, scenic part of the race and the shade was very welcomed.  Honestly, you could still see people's breath at certain points on the course.  My half time was 2:00:34.  Well on pace for a PR.  I held steady during this section and was averaging 9:17 per mile.

Miles 16-20: We kept on the Towpath during most of this stretch.  Everyone knew the hills would start around mile 17.  After looking at the elevation chart, I see now that miles 15-20 are actually one long, slow climb that you don't really notice at first.  Mix that with the MEGA hill at mile 18 and you have a recipe for crapping out.  That is, unfortunately, what happened to me.  I began to feel like crap around mile 20 and hit the 20.7 mile marker in 3:15:50.  I knew, with how I was feeling at this point, a PR was no longer in the cards.  Seriously, it was like flipping a switch.

Miles 21-26.2: We ran through some residential areas and I really enjoyed how many people came out to cheer us on.  It wasn't the same as Columbus but still pretty special.  I was simply trying to hold on by taking water and Gatorade at every stop and taking plenty of walk breaks.  I was also beating myself up until mile 23 or so.  A PR was never a given but I absolutely hate the fact that I crapped out like this at Akron.  Finally, I decided that I'm finishing my third marathon and should simply be proud of that fact and enjoy the last three miles.  Thankfully, I did.  We made our way back downtown for the final few miles and the amazing finish inside the Akron Aeros minor league ballpark.  My final time was 4:23:57.  I was actually surprised, considering how I felt the final 10k, that I was only ten minutes off from my Columbus time.  That's really not too bad since this was a much tougher course.



Despite my feeling through part of this race, I really enjoyed the overall experience.  This was a well organized marathon and, dare I say, slightly better than Columbus.  The ease of getting around and the fact that the course wasn't completely congested were pluses.  I'm really hoping this is the last time I do a full marathon but, let's face it, I'm already thinking of what I could do on a flat course.

Next race: Dayton River Corridor Classic Half Marathon- Dayton, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment