Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Run for the Camps 5k

I had to wait a couple days before posting this race report.  The excitement was too much and I was afraid the post would be incoherent if I wrote it right after the race.  Although, as regular readers know, this blog is less about solid writing and more about just getting my thoughts down for each race.

The race was held Sunday at beautiful Riverbend Park over in Findlay.  This really is a cool park and is much bigger than I thought.  My training leading to this race was surprisingly good considering I had just finished the Cap City Half two weeks prior.  I've been doing a lot of tough trail running at a local park and nailed a solid seven miler Friday evening before taking Saturday off.  In all honesty, I probably went that far because I just bought the New Balance GPS watch and wanted to take it for a spin.  I've also been sprinkling in some cross training at the local Y by using the elliptical and stationary bike.  I felt good going in and knew something in the 21 minute range would be realistic.  Keep in mind that 20:25 is my PR.

We started off with a long straightaway.  I came out of the gate faster than I meant to and found myself with the lead pack.  We made a turn about a half mile in and ran another long straightaway next to one of Findlay's reservoirs.  The first mile marker went by and I looked at my fancy new watch.  6:09?  What the heck?  I was shooting for a 6:30-6:40.  However, the first mile did measure a bit short, so I figure I was at 6:25 or so.  Still fast.  We turned soon after the mile marker and headed into a more woodsy area.  This was definitely more scenic, but I was so focused on the fact that I was running at a PR pace that I didn't pay much attention.  I slowed down some but still hit mile 2 in 12:39.  Ok.  This is definitely a PR attempt.  But I was feeling the effort and slowed just a bit in order to prepare for the last half mile.  I got into a battle with two other runners and edged one of them out with a half mile to go.  The finish line soon came into sight.  I looked at my watch, couldn't believe what I saw, and kicked into another gear for a solid finish and a new PR.  19:40!  The official results have me at a 19:42, placing 7/95 overall and third in my age group.  I never thought I would get a chance to finally break 20 minutes and I was thrilled to do so this early in the year.  Add it with the 10k PR I had in Fostoria last month and I've had a very good 2013.

I honestly still can't believe that I broke my 5k PR by so much, but I really need to focus on the rest of my summer training.  I'm trying to fit in a few summer half marathons to help me prepare for the Akron Marathon at the end of September.  My next race should certainly help.

Next race: Park 2 Park Half Marathon- Sheffield, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment