Saturday, April 20, 2013

Run the Res 10k

This past weekend was the Run the Res 10k in Fostoria, Ohio.  If you've been following the blog, you know about my aversion to 10ks.  I can't really explain it.  If I make a mistake in a 5k, I can get through it because it's just 3.1 miles.  But a mistake in a 10k can be disastrous.  The weird thing is that I had placed in my only 10k attempts (BOSS Summer Run in 2002, Ralph Wade in 2011, and Twin Creek Trail in 2012).  The reason I ran this one is because it was placed perfectly in between the Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon and Capital City Half Marathon.  Pretty perfect for training purposes.  My goal was simply to break 50 minutes.

The race started at 2pm at Community Park (I think that's right) in Fostoria.  The 5k option started at the same time as the 10k, which made it difficult pacing-wise.  I started out way too fast as we made our way around two of Fostoria's reservoirs.  It was a very pretty run and very flat for the first half or so.  The 5k runners definitely threw me off and I started out with a 7:19 for the first mile.  That's not far off from how I start 5ks, so I knew this would be tough.  We continued around the way we came and I was still picking people off as we hit the second mile marker.  I was still at 15 minutes and change, despite trying desperately to slow down. 

Finally, the 10k and 5k split up around 2.5 miles in the race.  We made our way up two bridges that consisted of major inclines.  I was finally able to assess the situation as I made my way down for a long straightaway heading outside of town.  There were some runners in front of me, but not many.  My best bet were two groups of two people each.  But they were up there a ways.  I hit the third mile marker in 23 minutes and change.  Still too fast, but at this point I was prepared for some pain.

The next few miles were very uneventful.  Two long straightaways on some country roads.  It did start raining lightly, which helped to cool things down some.  I passed the first group of two runners at the four mile mark.  Despite starting too fast, I still felt pretty good and looked to pick off the next two people.  The turnaround was just past the four mile mark and we made our way back to town.  I gained on the next two runners and caught up to them at the five mile mark, which I crossed in 38 minutes and change.  The second of the two challenged me for the next half mile, but I picked up the pace as we made our way up the bridge.  I'm a proponent of going hard on the uphills.  If you're passing someone, they'll see that you still have some strength left.  After that, it was the final push down the bridge and the last half mile to the finish line.  I crossed the finish in 45:35, good enough for a new 10k PR!

I didn't place in this race, but still finished a strong 14/64 overall.  Despite starting out too strong, this race taught me that I can a little harder in the early miles of future half marathons.

There were no plans for running a race this weekend, but I decided to sign up for one after the events in Boston on Monday.  I'm sure there will be plenty of runners there in support and I plan to use this one as an expensive training run for Capital City.  I urge you all to make donations to One Fund Boston and to keep those who were effected in your thoughts.

Next race: Hoover Hustle 10 Miler- Westerville, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment