Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tiffin Fire Department 5k

I ran a race in town last week and, yes, I am a week behind on posting.  This seems to be the trend with my races recently.  Perhaps I just need time to reflect.

The race was held at Hedges-Boyer park here in Tiffin and was very well organized.  The organizers weren't planning for the 300+ people (just under 300 for the 5k, some more for the 1 mile walk) who showed up, but I really thought they did a tremendous job.  The weather was perfect as we seem to actually be getting fall weather this year.  Not much to put down here but let's get to my report.

I started roughly right in the middle of the pack since I was looking for a nice, hard run but not really looking to race.  That changed.  We started off and I noticed the leaders going at what looked like a conservative pace, especially considering how flat it is around here.  I felt pretty good and decided to make my way to where the first group was and see how long I could hold that pace.  We ran through the park and into town, hitting the first mile in 6:34.  That's way too fast for me.  Usually I'm around 7:00.  But I decided to hold on and keep going.  We soon made our way up town to the turnaround and back.  Most of this race was made up of two long straightaways.  No problems having to worry about running the tangents, which is nice.  I was feeling some fatigue when we hit the 2 mile mark, but my time (12:40) made me keep going at the same pace.  The first straightaway seemed a lot longer on the way back.  Imagine that!  We made our way back to the park, wound through the park on the paved path, and I hit the finish in 20:47.  This is, by far, my best 5k time this year.  I've been lucky to get into the 21s this year.  My time was good enough for seventh overall and second in my age group.  More importantly, it gave me some extra confidence heading into a two half marathon October.

Next race: Dayton River Corridor Classic Half Marathon- Dayton, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment