Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sugar Maple 5k

I'm usually not a big fan of racing two weeks in a row, but I've been trying to fit in some speedwork for the upcoming Capital City Half Marathon.  It turned out to be a nice race and confidence boost.

I arrived in Bellbrook about an hour before the race.  The weather wasn't the greatest, just like last week, but at least it wasn't pouring.  The temperature was in the low to mid-40s with a light mist.  We were 322 people strong.  That shows how popular these ORRRC races are in this area.  I came in just hoping for a nice race.  22-23 minutes seemed realistic, especially since I was out with friends the night before and we did not consume anything that could be considered healthy. 

The gun went off and we started our trek out of town.  I felt great from the beginning with the downhills during the first mile helping out.  The pace was fast due to the competitiveness of these ORRRC races.  I hung around with the second pack and hit the first mile in 6:58.  Not bad at all but a little fast for this early in the year for me.  We hit a nice little uphill and went straight down a little country road to the turnaround point.  I wasn't passing anyone and nobody was passing me so I was in the right place.  The second mile marker came up quickly and I hit it in 14:00.  Still hitting 7:00 miles.  The last mile seemed long to me but probably due to the long straightaway.  The uphills didn't seem to bad.  They were enough to feel great on the way down but not enough to feel bad on the way back up.  I turned back towards town and hit the third mile in 21:01 with a finishing time of 21:21.  My overall place was 50/322.  I'm very happy with this race as I didn't start hitting 21s until mid-summer last year.

The Twin Creek 10k and this race have given me quite a bit of confidence heading into my next half marathon.  I'm not one for doing much speedwork but it definitely helps.

Next race: Capital City Half Marathon- Columbus, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment