Sunday, February 5, 2012

Frostbite 5 Miler

I decided to make this my first race of 2012 for a couple reasons- 1) The weather in Ohio has been very nice this winter and today was no exception.  Low 40s and sunny.  Perfect running weather.  2) I joined the Ohio River Road Runners Club and most of their races are free for members.  No brainer.  3) 5 miles is a nice distance to test where I am and to prepare for the Augusta Half Marathon in three weeks.

I didn't come in thinking that I would necessarily race this one more than use it as a tuneup for Augusta.  I went out fairly easy in the first mile, which went around Centerville High School and made its way through the surrounding neighborhood.  Pretty level first mile and I clocked in around 8:17.  The second mile started with a downhill followed by a twisting uphill.  I really liked this course because of all the elevation changes.  I prefer courses with some rolling hills as it works more of the leg muscles than a flat course.  My time was slightly faster for the second mile and I was at 16:20.  For coming out easy, I really felt that I was running a nice pace and kicked it up slightly during mile 3.  More uphills during this miles we continued making our way through some of the local neighborhoods.  I was at 24:10 at mile 3 and was on pace to run a race of nothing but negative splits.

We ran a loop around one neighborhood for mile 4 and I was staying at a good pace.  I kept reeling people in and passing them and felt surprisingly good.  There was one killer hill as we started the final mile and I passed a few people here.  Then we made it back towards the high school and I finished hard, passing five people in the last 200 meters, and clocked in at 38:45.  I came in just looking to run this in 42-43 minutes, so I'll take it.

Next race: Augusta Half Marathon- Augusta, GA

No comments:

Post a Comment