Saturday, September 24, 2011

Run for the Rams 5k

I just finished the Run for the Rams 5k at the Miami Valley School here in Dayton.  I wasn't too keen on running a race for the third week in a row, but this one was free.  I'll say that again.  Free.  I've never been to a free 5k and wasn't expecting much, but it was better organized than some half marathons I've attended.  We even got a nice long sleeve tech tee!  For free!  This was also my final 5k in my 20s, so I wanted to have a good showing.

My goal for today was to just go easy, try to place in my age group, and prepare for Columbus in three weeks.  Why do I ever say I'll go out easy?  I never do.  I lined up near the front because a ton of little kids were lining up near the front and I didn't want to dodge them to start the race.  Let the others do the dodging.  We headed out and I ran a very fast pace for the first mile.  There were some nice hills throughout this race.  The first one was about a half mile in and was definitely a nice challenge.  I hit the first mile in 6:31 which is much faster than I wanted to go.  But I also like to establish myself early in a race and maintain distance between myself and the second pack.  There was another runner who I chatted with prior to the race who was now just in front of me.  He said he usually ran around 21 minutes, so I trailed him for the majority of the race.  The second mile was very, very tough with another hill.  This one wasn't as steep, but it was long.  We hit the halfway mark in 10:37 and the two mile mark in 13 and change.  Then we went back around the same neighborhood and met up with the walkers who were nice enough to cheer each one of us along.  Again, there was a hill at about the 2.5 mile mark.  I actually like getting some hills in during races because of the challenge.  It's the only way you'll ever improve.   I passed my runner friend with about a quarter mile in and kicked it in for a strong finish of 21:22.  Pretty happy with this time considering all the hills.  I placed first in my age group and I think in the top 10 overall.

October 16th is quickly approaching and my goal race for the year, the Columbus Marathon, will be here before I know it.  I've got a 19-20 miler planned for Friday and then a two week taper.  I'm focused in and feel much more confident than I did last year before the Spinx Run Fest Marathon.

Next race: Columbus Marathon- Columbus, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment