Saturday, August 13, 2011

GermanFest 5k

This one was a pleasant surprise. The 5k started at Carillon Park in Dayton during GermanFest.  I wasn't a big fan of the 6:30 start, but at least it was easy to get there right after work.  A free beer after the race didn't hurt either.  The course itself was nothing special.  We simply ran along the Great Miami Trail on an easy out-and-back.  No shade and plenty of sunlight didn't give me much hope of accomplishing much. 

I was planning on running a conservative pace for the first mile but this course was way too fast for that.  There were also a few little downhills over the first mile.  I started just behind the lead pack and came in around 6:45 for the first mile.  A little too fast considering the heat and humidity.  From there we were on a nice, flat straightaway until the turn around point.  The second mile went better than it usually does for me and I just stayed right behind a few runners who I recognized.  I've lost to both of them in recent races so I was happy to stay right behind both for a while.  The second mile clocked in at 13:45 and I was feeling pretty good.  Passed both of my competitors on the second uphill halfway through mile 3.  I've always been a proponent of passing people on hills if you have the strength to do so.  If you can create some space as you come up over the hill, that can be pretty demoralizing to the person you just passed.  I'm all about race strategy since I'm not particularly fast.  The final mile went very fast and I hit the finish line at 21:26.

This is the fastest I've ran a 5k this year!  My previous fastest for the year was way back in March with a 21:38 at the No Buts About It race.  I finished 2nd in my age group and 11/186 overall.  I'm clearly thrilled with the result, especially as it gives me a nice confidence boost going into next week's half marathon.

Next race: Little Miami Half Marathon- Morrow, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment