Friday, June 24, 2011

Duck 'n' Run 5k

Remember how I started too fast on Sunday?  This was worse.  Let me reiterate.  THIS WAS WORSE.  It was a nice, cool evening on my favorite course.  Tawawa Park in Sidney is an awesome place to run.  And it was a very fast group of people.  I must have just got caught up in it all and went out way too fast.  I'm also thinking that I should stay away from evening races because I almost always get a massive stomach cramp.  I didn't eat anything horrible through the day, so I'm not really sure what the problem was yesterday.  The recap will be short and (not so) sweet.

The first mile is a long straightaway through the upper part of the park.  It's lined with trees, ponds and the stream that runs through the park.  Gorgeous.  I didn't take in the sights and took off like a bat out of a very warm place.  The worst thing is that I realized how fast I started.  After 70 some road races, I know what I am capable of and what to stay away from.  The first mile went by in 6:23.  6:23.  Adorable.  I really do need to go out around 7:00 in the first mile.  The second mile started out well, but about halfway through I started feeling like crap.  A stomach cramp set in and it was all downhill from there.  I'm not sure what my second mile was, but it had to be around 8:00.  I was able to tough it out and run a respectable final mile and even come in strong at the finish.  My final time was 22:24 which still isn't bad (7:12 pace). Only 7 seconds slower than last Sunday's race.

This was a very frustrating race for me because I veered off from the game plan so early and just couldn't recover.  I did a nice four miler today and a ten miler planned for Sunday with a good five miler and some speedwork planned for next week.  The next race should be a lot better and I'm looking forward to breaking 22 minutes. 

Next race: Run for Recovery- Troy, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment