Saturday, March 26, 2011

No Buts About It 5k

This will be a shorter post today since this was only a 5k.  I headed up to the Mall at Fairfield Commons in Beavercreek for this 5k at 7:30 this morning.  Got there a little before 8:00 for easy packet pick up and to loosen up some before the 9:00 start.  The past week was beautiful for Ohio in March.  We had some nice days in the 50's and 60's which is ideal for me.  But, since it's Ohio, I knew it was too good to last.  And it did not last.  It was a brisk 26 degrees this morning with a decent wind added to the mix.  I don't say this often, but I really didn't want to get out of bed for this one.  Runners are a dedicated breed so I naturally ran anyway.

I went for a brief jog around the mall about a half hour before the start and could tell that this was going to be a rough one.  Let's just get it over with.  The start went better than I thought it would.  I started at a nice pace (not sure of my splits as there were no mile markers/clocks) and quickly realized that everyone was starting at a conservative pace.  I figured I was in about 20th place or so after the first mile.  The second mile was through a little neighborhood behind the mall.  This was where my lungs started to feel the cold air.  Plus there wasn't much to block the wind.  Not fun, but I think I kept a good time for the second mile.  The third mile looped back around where we came from.  I was little irritated by the huge mass of walkers who did cheer us on but also did not move out of the way.  I had to steer wide to miss them.  Oh well.

The finish was much stronger than I thought it would be and I passed three people before crossing the timing mat.  My time was much, much better than I thought it would be considering the weather conditions.  A solid 21:36 which is faster than my past four 5ks.  To add to the surprises, I placed 3rd in my age group and received a nice plaque!  Overall, I'm seeing that the recent speedwork has helped.  I have four tough weeks ahead with the ORRRC Half Marathon, Glass City Half Marathon and another 5k on the horizon.

Next race: Ohio River Road Runners Half Marathon- Xenia, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment